Frequently asked questions


Typically, how booked out is your team?

We do our best to accomodate our client's schedules. But with that being said, our calendar may be a week or two out on our busy months.

I would like to leave feedback about my project. Where can I do that?

We always love to hear how our fleets are performing. Please follow this link to leave feedback about our drillers.

Your newsletters are interesting. Where can I find previous articles?

Good question - you can find our previous newsletters here. Thanks for following along!


Why do I need to fill out forms for my project?

Thanks for your question. It's important we have all information pertaining to your job. In most cases, we need to submit a markout to the state. For other projects, a permit is needed. This is for the safety of everyone on the team and possibly other project managers in the field.

How does NJ One Call Work?

New Jersey Law requires anyone digging to call at least three full business days (excluding weekends and holidays) prior to beginning work. This includes excavators as well as property and home owners’ contractors. Contact New Jersey One Call and follow these steps: WAIT for the site to be marked with paint, flags or stakes. See what colors each utility company uses. RESPECT THE MARKS DIG WITH CARE by hand digging within two feet on either side of any marked facility.

My project has been marked out. What do the colors mean?

What are the possible results of not calling One Call for a project?

Results of Not Calling: Personal injury, including loss of life. Damage to the environment. Costly property damage. Damage to these utility lines: telecommunications, electricity, gas, sewer, and water. Expensive delays and repairs. Legal ramifications. Civil penalties.

Do you have any markout processing tips?

When processing a markout, you have the following options available: EXTENT OF WORK: Entire property (ONLY available with ADDRESS or POSTED Block & Lot) Curb to curb Curb to ___ ft. behind curb (of given address) ___ ft. behind opposite curb (of given address) ___ ft. behind both curbs (available only on “0” address markouts) ___ C/L of street to ___ ft. behind curb ___ ft. PERIMETER of building/structure When requesting the perimeter on a “0” address markout, you MUST be able to provide the DISTANCE behind WHICH curb the building/structure is located. ___ ft. RADIUS of (pole/hydrant/etc.) When requesting the radius on a “0” address markout, you MUST be able to provide the DISTANCE behind WHICH specific curb the pole/hydrant/etc. is located. Area(s) marked in WHITE To choose this option, you must provide the operator with the NUMBER of white markings, if they are coded (A, B, C, 1, 2, 3, etc.), and WHERE on the property the area is marked in white (front, rear, left side, right side). Working at MULTIPLE ADDRESSES: You must be able to tell the operator whether the addresses you are providing are: Consecutive All (you are working from the lowest to the highest number provided). Consecutive Even (you are working at ONLY the even-numbered addresses). Consecutive Odd (you are working at ONLY the odd-numbered addresses). Side by Side (the provided addresses are two properties directly next to each other). One Building (the address range belongs to ONE property). “0” ADDRESS REQUIREMENTS: Primary Street (street work will be on/along/nearest to) At least ONE nearest DIRECT INTERSECTING street. Footage & Direction from the INTERSECTION that will cover the ENTIRE dig area. If working at a pole/hydrant/transformer/white marking/ etc., you may give distance and direction TO WHERE THE AREA OR OBJECT IS LOCATED from the intersection. If working on a large tract of land (park/school/military base/etc.), please have additional streets available that can be boundaries around your work area so that the operator can ensure all utilities are notified.

Private facilities

Private facilities are found everywhere in New Jersey, including single-family homes, farms, multi-family housing units, industrial areas, trailer parks, shopping centers and sometimes in the road right of way. Excavators must always be on the lookout for these facilities and inquire from home and property owners about the location of underground facilities that are not marked out as a result of a notice to New Jersey One Call. Unless the private facility owner participates as a member of NJOC, owners of private facilities are not notified and will not mark. Private facilities can convey many different types of products and provide various services. The following list contains only some examples. Natural Gas Private natural gas lines in a residential setting may provide fuel for different devices. Among them are barbecues and grills, pool heaters, yard lights or heaters in outbuildings, including sheds, garages or barns. It is important to remember the operators of natural gas facilities only mark the line leading to the meter. A private facility almost invariably serves any appliance or device fueled by natural gas that is on the “other side” of the meter. Electricity Residential properties, apartment complexes, shopping malls and others may also have buried private electric lines that serve to power, among other things, yard or parking lot lighting, pool heaters or pumps. Additionally, on residential properties or farms, private lines may connect outbuildings like garages, sheds or barns to a source of power. Remember that the supplier of electricity usually only marks the power line up to the meter. If there is power in a garage or if another piece of equipment on the property runs on electricity, make sure to look for a private electric line. Although the meter set is often found on/at the home or main building, in some areas, it is set on a pole or other attachment at a nearby power line. Red marks or flags leading up to a pole but not going on to the main building or home are clear indicators that there is a private facility in the area. Other Types of Private Lines Several other types of private buried lines may be found on private property. While some may carry low-voltage electrical current, they do not serve to connect an appliance or outbuilding with electricity. These include buried lines like invisible dog fences, data communications cables, and low voltage landscape lighting. Other private facilities can include water systems, underground sprinkler systems, private phone lines that collect outbuildings to a home or waste collection lines. Be on the Lookout for Private Facilities To dig safely, a good excavator must also be part detective. Because of the possible existence of private facilities on almost any dig site, a careful excavator will physically inspect the jobsite before submitting their mark out requests (or even bidding the job). They will take the time to talk to the property owner, see what equipment or power may serve buildings they will excavate around, and look for warning signs. They find out who installed the original underground facilities and contact them to determine if any records or maps exist. They also prepare maps of any new facilities they install, so that this problem doesn’t exist in the future.

What should I do if I suspect I have private facilities in the area of my excavation?

When a property owner or tenant has any private underground facility, they are responsible for locating those facilities or hiring someone to locate them. Please visit our geophysics website to reduce your risk of hitting underground utilities that may be unmarked by OneCall. For more information, follow this link to geophysics advantages.

Well Permit

Well Permits and Information

Approximately 20,000 new permits to drill wells in New Jersey are issued and tracked per year. Once a well is constructed, the driller is required to submit a well record document which is the as-built description of the well. Well drillers also submit a well abandonment report whenever a well has been decommissioned. There are about 800 licensed well drillers and 400 licensed pump installers in New Jersey; only properly licensed individuals are permitted to install, service and decommission wells and pumps. The Subsurface and Percolating Water Act establishes the State Well Drillers and Pump Installers Examining and Advisory Board, whose members provide advice to the Department on exam questions, license status and technical issues. All meetings of the Board are open to the public.

Where can I find the Individual Well Search Questionnaire?

You can follow this link to fill out the form and after, please send to our office.

Do you have information about becoming a licensed well driller?

Follow this link, the DEP has lots reading material on this subject.


How do I request a job estimate?

To submit a job estimate and scope of work, please follow this link. A team member will be in touch with you soon.

Can you explain your proposal writing system?

Sure. We use PandaDoc to send, track and monitor responses with our clients. Clients do not need an account to access the documents assigned to them. When a EPI team member sends a document assigned to you, press the link (button) saying open the document, view the document/pricing/terms and the electronic signature will be at the bottom of the document. Have feedback about PandaDoc? Follow our suggestion form here.


Does EPI accept ACH funds?

Yes, many clients have sent us their ACH funds form to fill out. We not only accept this form of payment, but we prefer it!

How can I pay for my invoice?

There are quite a few ways to pay for your invoice. You can set up an ACH fund with, send a check or pay with credit card via Square (credit card fee may apply.) To get in touch with bookkeeping, send an email here.